I can has computer problem?

Completely open to any registered user to talk about anything.
Ayyyla
Re: I can has computer problem?

Post by Ayyyla » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:48 pm

Me again.

The latest thing I've tried is hooking up my husband's perfectly running harddrive to my rig to see if it would boot up. Nope.

So, I tried hooking my harddrive up to my husband's computer (mainly because I have important documents I'd love to access right now) and naturally went to a windows didn't start right screen. I asked it to start normally, start in safe mode, start in any way it wants to...and each time it would start to load windows then flash to a blue screen that comes and goes so fast I can't even see what the error code might have been and starts the whole process over again. Doesn't matter how I try to start windows...it starts to load, flashes to blue blip and back to the start again.

Since his harddrive won't start my computer, there has to be something else wrong with my computer but the fact that I can't get my harddrive to boot up right on his either...the only thing I can speculate is that something is busted on mine that fried the drive with it? I have no idea. Thoughts? Is there any way to salvage my freaking resume and syllabus from this drive? What the hell is wrong with this thing!!! Want to buy my husband back to help me fix it!

PinkRabi

Post by PinkRabi » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:18 am

Can you boot from Thowar's drive with your's still connected? If so you might be able to do that and retract the data. Otherwise there are data recovery firms, but that will typically cost a lot.

XoR

Post by XoR » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Your HD is configured and expecting your hardware. In Thowar's PC, your HD is going to boot up and give a giant WTF. In some occasions, Plug and Play can gracefully rearrange things, but in my experience will do exactly what happened to you - BSOD and reboot.

Like Pink said, best to hook up your HD as a secondary and boot into Thowar's Windows.

As to your existing dilemma, we've ruled out :

-Mobo (new)
-RAM (new)
-CPU (new)
-Video (works in other PC's)

Holy shit ... That's all I gotta say.

Have you tried barebones with nothing attached to the mobo except Power, 1 stick of RAM, CPU, video and NOTHING else? It should at least POST and allow you into the BIOS.

Also make sure you don't have a 4-6 pin ATX extension that was forgot to be plugged in. Usually at the top of the mobo. I've done that before and it will not power up.

Ayyyla

Post by Ayyyla » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:05 pm

Xor - yep, Arch pointed that out to me. And that makes complete sense...I don't know what I was thinking. Well actually Thowarr told me to do that, I think we were trying to verify that the HD was working properly and eliminating that as a possible reason it wouldn't boot.

I tried hooking up my hd to his computer with his HD in place at the same time I was doing this other junk and his computer didn't recognize my HD for some reason.

Yeah, Xor, I have tried that and nope, I wasn't missin that plug in.

There is still the possibility that it is my power supply. I haven't sent that in and I'm not seein any easy way to trouble shoot that by using Thowarr's or my kiddo's. I've also had friends tell me they had Asus send them 3 dead motherboards in a row...so it is also possible that my motherboard is still crap - in spite of having a new one sent in.

Purrs like a kitten. No beeping. No indications of anything obvious...except the fact it's not booting up! Bleh.

XoR

Post by XoR » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:44 am

And you've made sure to remove all PCI cards like network cards, modems, soundcards etc ... ?

Just power to the mobo, 1 RAM, CPU, Video? No Hard drive, No DVD; everything unplugged?

If so, then yeah it may be a toast mobo yet again. That sucks.

Ayyyla

Post by Ayyyla » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:27 am

I gave up trying to fix my computer. I started working 42 1/2 hours a week and didn't care to keep playing with it. I decided to let Thowarr troubleshoot it when he returned from Afghanistan.

He came back but of course he was busy for a long time too. Eventually we had a look at it again and we've pretty much concluded that the motherboard is to blame. We've read a lot about this problem with this motherboard. Last week we ordered a new one. Cross your fingers.

Archangelus

Post by Archangelus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:57 pm

My eyes are crossed. Does that count?

Ayyyla

Post by Ayyyla » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:38 pm

It was the Asus motherboard, even though I just had the danged thing replaced. It wasn't playing well with the processor and apparently this is pretty common.

In any case, Thowarr installed the Gigabyte mobo and everything seems to be running pretty smooth now. We're getting everything updated and whatnots and so forth. I have to get some of my crap off his computer where I was borrowing it for a long time.

I can think about computer gaming again...except I barely have time. :-/