FABLE! and UNITED OFFENSE

Use for discussion of any console gaming topics.
ShiftyPowers

Post by ShiftyPowers » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:51 pm

Pfft lol I downloaded the demo for UO and thought it was awesome.

DenKirson

Post by DenKirson » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:03 pm

Yeah, the Demo is the one american map that isn't horribly frustrating.

I prefer using the Bolt-Actions to the new autos (dey sux).

-

BATTLEFRONT! It focuses more on the foot soldier and air combat (X-Wing vs TIE, wench!). How does it focus on the foot soldier? Most of the planets have a hell of a lot of obstacles and close-quarters areas where tank-like vehicles cannot go (Endor or Naboo), or the big tanks start way in the back and aircraft can own them before they get near (Hoth with the ATAT).

I saw some gameplay of it, and its very very smooth (possibly Client side hit detection or that gameplay was just a LAN). As well, the foot soldier rocket/anti-armor weapons are actually effective against such things as tanks (takes one/two hits on light/medium vehicles).

I wonder if Pilots can Hook up on the bottom of ATATs and fuse open the bottom to throw a nade in. That'd be the fun.

Kilroy

didn't realize UO was a console game, PJ....

Post by Kilroy » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:19 pm

Base assault- Very cool concept, pretty fun in practice.
CTF- Tried and true, nothing spectacular but it works well on certain maps.Speaking of which...
New maps- Kharkov, Rhine Valley, Ponyri, and Foy are all pretty kick ass. I'd like to try Retrieve on some of these new maps.
New features- Like the new rifles, artillery, and a more conservative ammo load.

Dislikes:
Vehicles- Not a true dislike, but the sheer abundance of them leads to reliance on them... which sorta blows. Hard to do the foot soldier thing.
Map size- Another give/take. The big maps are fun, but it makes foot soldiering difficult. And most of the maps are pretty open (exceptions off the top of my head are Cassino and Arnhem) so say goodbye to Carentan-esque close quarters battling.
Domination- Not impressed by this game mode at all. It's ike headquarters, minus the strategy.

And also a big "meh" to the single player. Den brought up some points I'd tend to agree with here. I still liked it for the most part, though. The American campaign had some good visuals going. Too bad they didn't add player-usable flares. That'd rock on some night maps....

Bottom line: It's essentially a completely different game (speaking totally of MP here) and needs to be thought of as such. It's still good, it's still fun, but it's not the ol' CoD most of us are accustomed to.

DenKirson

Post by DenKirson » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:16 pm

Oh, and Guild Wars will also redeem your soul. Almost as much as Battlefront.

Archangelus

Post by Archangelus » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:23 pm

I saw preorder boxes for Guild Wars at Best Buy today. They supposedly will allow all beta access, and some special weapon.

-Arch

DenKirson

Post by DenKirson » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:45 pm

The "Consumer Whore"! A sword of all mediocre power, yet wielding it will gain you twice the amount of gold the enemy drops!

Or something.

BadAsh

Post by BadAsh » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:08 am

yes I will be picking up that pre-order box, it has a bunch of cool stuff in it.

PJ

Post by PJ » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:24 am

when dose guild wars release...? i prob wont buy it till summer.....it will consume me...

BadAsh

Post by BadAsh » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:03 pm

guildwars won't be out for a till sometime in 2005, but they will have an even every month that will allow anyone who pre-orders to participate, plus they will have a full beta. The best site I have found for all things guildwars is http://www.guild-hall.net

z3r07w0

Post by z3r07w0 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:58 pm

this is for any canadiens buying united offensive.buy it at wallmart for 28 bucks instead of eb games for 40.that makes it worth it if it sucks!